[pct-l] ice axes

Part of the benefit of an axe is the "third point of
contact" it gives you with the ice.  Also, the length
allows you to use it as a lever once you get the pick
into the ice and your weight on top of it (you pull up
on the axe shaft, near the spike).

As for going way short on the length just to save
weight, ask Han Solo (PCT '02) how that worked out for
him. :)  Or, just ask anybody who saw the
after-effects of his attempted self-arrest with an
"ice hammer".

Iron Chef

*********
 I've taken a basic mountaineering class in the past
that taught the
self-arrest.  Now I'm wondering if I can get away with
the shortest
shaft available to save weight.  Wasn't Jardine's ice
axe a mere 20"
long?  Any recommendations?