[pct-l] JMT Questions

Hi folks -

I'm a newcomer to the list, planning a 2006 PCT thruhike. I had two
questions about a JMT thruhike for this summer:

1) I've always used PolarPure iodine water treatment, though I've
heard that Cryptosporidium is more of a problem out west. Any thoughts
on the safety of using iodine on the JMT?

2) Say I wanted to get on the trail a day earlier than I had
originally planned (i.e. a day before my permit says I can be there).
Just how much trouble would I be likely to meet from Yosemite rangers?

Thanks,
Andrew Bestwick.