[pct-l] Gutsy phoned from Big Bear City

"Bread and water never tasted so good!"

That's the message Gutsy asked me to give Ron Strickland, who gave her some homemade bread on the trail today just south of Onyx summit.  She phoned from Motel 6 in Big Bear City this evening, around 5 p.m. Pacific Time.  I was so relieved to hear from her, and a little surprised that she is in Big Bear City already.  I was worried about everything from dangerous stream crossings to route finding in fresh snow to icy slopes.  Gutsy is a remarkable woman with lots of trail experience, common sense, and spunk, and I should not worry so much, but I always do.  Maybe some of you readers will empathize.  I scoured trailjournals.com, and did not see any reports from Big Bear City yet.

Before Onyx summit, Gutsy sat with Sparrow along hwy 38 until a ride came along, and Sparrow got a ride to Big Bear City. That's when Gutsy enjoyed the bread.  I am glad for others out there who provide camaraderie and all manner of assistance such as footprints in the snow and tasty homemade bread.  (I tried emailing Ron Strickland, but the message did not go through.)

She was a little jealous when I told her about my hike to a local waterfall (upper SC) yesterday with our little granddaughters.  She's section hiking and is due to be home in a week.  But she's also toying with the idea of hiking on the PCT in OR or WA in June.  She has a graduate school class in July.

Dan