From: "Geoffrey Selling" <geoffreys@gfsnet.org>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 4:57 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Compass use help needed for the N. Cascades

> Friends,
> I'll be attempting my first long distance hike on the PCT in late
June......from Snoqualamie Pass north to the end.  Several posts have
mentioned needing a compass for that portion of the trail.  I
> have a compass but other than figuring out which way is North, South, East
and West, I don't really know how to use a cmpass and a map to find my way,
especially if I get lost.  How does one learn
> this skill?  Is there an article on the subject or a chapter in a book  or
some "tricks of the trade" I should know about?  Can any of you veterans
help out?