[pct-l] National forests

That's right, follow the money.
The active concept here is sustainability and recoverability.
Fact: clear cutting is not a sustainable method of using a 'renewable'
resource.
Fact: clear-cutting leaves behind much more flammable secondary growth
that takes over, crowding out slower growing seedlings. The trash left
behind remains as a fuel load which also invites further burns and
usually more than doubles the damage caused by natural wildfires, while
providing about zero recreational use. Fire suppression in healthy
forest leads to higher fuel load accumulation, leading to hotter fires
which sterilizes the forest floor, requiring generations to recover.
For a convenient example, walk south on the PCT from Reds Meadow. It's
not far to a burn area where this occurred. Twenty years and the ground
is still mostly bare. Even the standing snags aren't decomposing
naturally.
Fact: a monoculture forest, planted to 'recover a clear cut area, is
not a healthy forest in any long-term sense. It provides no natural
habitat for anything resembling a diverse ecology. It is much more
susceptible to disease, and only serves to remove even more nutrients
from what remains in the soil.
Fact: Snags, downed trees, secondary growth in canopy openings left by
windfall, and open meadow in alternating patches are all features of a
healthy habitat.
Fact: healthy forests can remain healthy and even be improved when
selective logging practices are applied in them. This requires
supervision and accountability.
Fact: accountability of commercial operation's impact on public
resources has been sadly lacking in too many instances. Supervision has
been undercut by restrictions and staffing shortages.
Fact: corporate logging operations do not create local jobs, rather
they remove the 'sustainable' resources of local communities as quickly
as possible, send the profits elsewhere, leaving smaller operations
with nothing for the future.
Fact: Local residents (and loggers) are left with bare hills, and
recreational use drops to almost nothing, further impacting local
economies with a loss of tourism. Local operators start clamoring for
access to protected stands because that is all that is left for them.
Fact: water quality downstream of every major cutting operation
degrades, except selective logging where impact is minimized and
monitored.
Fact: logging operations preclude almost any other multiple use over a
wide geographical area, including grazing, hunting, recreation. Mining
operations don't care. The trees just get in their way. Access roads
are a boon.

Requiring recovery to a near natural state sends jobs overseas where
requirements are lower or non-existent. We get to keep our trees, while
some third world nation gets stripped bare.

Message: 11