[pct-l] Last Straw...

> to do something else (by passing appropriate laws).  You aren't
> actually advocating that the National Forest Service should just
> ignore Congress and manage the National Forest as if they
> were designated Wilderness areas are you?

Your point is a good one but it is just that style of thinking that has the
stopped the process of effective conservation of forests. 'Multiple use' is
a seriously  outdated idea that was established in the era of Teddy
Roosevelt's style of conservation. Don't get me wrong here--I do not mean to
disparage the 'great conservationist' and his role in protecting so many
natural treasures of the US. But 100 years ago, forest conservation was
based on the ethic that an individual forest could simulataneously be used
by hunters, timber companies, mining companies, cattlemen, etc. I don't
think 'multiple use' is geared for what we now regard as conservation. Allow
extractive industries onto the land and it is, for the most part,  no longer
usable by other interested parties. Hardly 'multiple use'. It seems the only
advantage gained by this archaic designation system is by economic entities
whose activities ruin the land. I think the recent decision to reopen
roadless areas is an example of how politicians can use this outdated system
to further their own, much narrower purposes.  So, yes, I am advocating that
the NFS should treat some areas as if they are wilderness, in the true
interest of 'multiple use'. If we define this term to mean that whole
sections of forest remain wilderness (despite the fact that the Dept of
Interior is the official admiinistrator of such acts), then I think the
forest service is finally doing its job, 100 years after the fact.