[pct-l] Last Straw...

I disagree with the notion that because Congress established the idea of
'multiple use' in 1905, that objections to its utility in 2005 are
unfounded. I have never agreed with 'multiple use', I don't think it really
works and is an outdated concept in relation to what we now understand about
conservation of pristine areas. The opening of roadless areas has
historically preceded the commercial development by extractive industries.
We know what happens to the land after this. I don't think it is an
overreaction to suspect that the Bush administration has economic
exploitation in mind here (and there is ample precedent for that!).
 Don't forget that the Forest Service is a branch of the USDA, and has
consistently proven itself a major obstacle to the conservation of large,
contiguous  tracts of our national forests.