[pct-l] Re: Backpack Question

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=50

My personal favorite is the Gregory Z-Pack. I have a Medium, which is rated at 3300ci, but I've never filled it to the max.

I tend to pack very light, and have adopted the dogma of "small pack = less gear" as others have plugged, and am very pleased with the results.

That aside, the Z-pack is an internal frame pack with a slim profile that doesn't restrict motion like an external. (My old pack is an Outdoor Products Dragonfly, which slightly hindered my range of motion of my arms and head.) It has a top-pouch that is removable to save a few ounces if desired. However, the same top-pouch can be used to strap in a large sleeping bag that wouldn't normally fit inside the backpack. It has compression straps on all sides (except the bottom) which I have found useful when stripping down to a day-use pack. I can cinch it down tight and my gear won't roll around inside the pack at all - very stable. The foam framesheet is curved to fit the back comfortably.

I'm totally happy with my Z-pack, and if I get another, it will likely be the G-pack, which is a similar design made with lighter fabrics (consequently, it can't carry as much weight - 30lb max). I can't speak for any other packs, as the Z-pack and the Dragonfly are the only packs I've used for weekend excursions.

In my opinion, the pack is one of the three items worth splurging on to get "the right one." Spend time researching and making sure you get the right pack, shoes, and sleeping bag.

Yahoo! Mail