[pct-l] Mountain Bikes in National Parks

I recently returned from living in Lake Tahoe and I must say, biking (I road
ride) and hiking there was a pleasure. The mountain bikers that I
encountered on the trail were very polite, and the drivers I encountered on
the road while riding were polite as well. On the other hand, IMO the exact
opposite situation exists here in the Big Bear area. I have encountered many
rude mountain bikers (I know, they're not all bad, just like not all hikers
are good) on the trail here and in talking to them, my experience is that
they are never satisfied with the amount of roads or single track given to
them. All I hear is whining about how the Forest Service is trying to
eliminate ALL mountain biking, because they won't let them ride on the PCT
and in the San Grogornio Wilderness. They seem to think that they should be
allowed access to any place a hiker can go as they think there is no
difference between the two. BTW, I had the same arguement with a motorcycle
rider the other day. He couldn't understand how his motorcycle causes more
harm than my two feet.
A few years ago after the Willow Fire a part of the forest was closed (north
of Holcomb Creek). The uproar was unreal amongst the bike/motorcycle/jeep
set. They were screaming about how they were being denied access and that
the FS intended on keeping it closed and never reopening it. If it wasn't so
sad it would be laughable.
OK...sorry. I'm done ranting now.

Daniel