From: Brian McLaughlin <bmclaughlin@bigplanet.com>
Sent: May 5, 2005 10:07 AM
To: PCT-List <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Mountain Bikes in National Parks

----- Original Message -----
> The agreement has the potential to open hundreds of
> dirt roads in National Park areas that have been closed
> to cycling. [...] appropriate dirt roads may be opened
> with a more straightforward administrative process.

I don't mind mountain bikers on dirt roads at all. And as
long as the Park Service is sensible about the amount and
nature of the trails they open to bicycles (I know that's
a hell of an 'if', considering their awful record), then that
would be OK, too.

You can't strangle off mountain biking as an activity
by shutting off all the places to ride. It won't work.
It works much better to give them access to dirt
roads, fire roads, logging roads, etc.  There are
so freaking many miles of roaded forest land it
is mind-boggling. Then, when you protect fragile
trails by limiting access, they can't complain they're
being disregarded.

BTW, I have never mountain biked in my life.