[pct-l] PCT - Mission Creek update

Here is a update from "The British Trail Blazers" who arrived in Big Bear
tonite - Wednesday 5-4. - James

Thanks for that and for posting the fuller ridge update. We've heard that
sierras will be getting another foot of snow over the next 2 days! I've not
heard of anyone following us over fuller, although one solo hiker waited
half a day at the trailhead in the hope someone else would come thorugh to
pair with, but when there was nobody, had to roadwalk round.
We're still relatively close to the front of the hiking group (about 12
ahead of us), but the lead group has expanded considerably as people skip
around idyllwild. A fair number of people have hitched or road-walked around
Idyllwild; we've met the other people who hiked fuller ridge ahead of us -
turns out there were 4 of them, but they skipped a short part of it (went
into idyllwild by devils slide, came out on deer springs) so AFAIK we're the
only people to have hiked the trail completely thus far. Some people skipped
all the way from before idyllwild to cabazon.
Mission Creek was the toughest section of trail so far - washed out, few
bridges, and we (& everone else!) got lost for ages and had to bushwhack.
There's a trail crew in there at present so it should improve soon. Snow
after that was pretty easy (we felt) but others have reported it as
challenging.
The snow hysteria continues amongst hikers on the trail - it's like living
on the PCT list at times! We try and avoid most of it. Many people are
planning to flipflop. We're still planning to go straight through. The
crampons worked like a dream - we can certainly do 70degree slopes in them
(Not that I'd recommend anyone tries it!)
Next stop Agua Dulce (currently in big bear) - will resupply at Cajon pass
rather than trying to get into wrightwood; I hear Hwy2 is closed.
Cheers for now,
Dave

James from Southern California