[pct-l] backpack question

my advice is to err on the small side.  if you have a big pack, you
will fill it.  when you fill it, it will be heavy.  when its heavy, you
will not enjoy it.  OTOH, when you get a small pack, you make due.  you
figure out what you really can do without, your pack is lighter, your
back/shoulders/neck/legs feel better, and you enjoy it more.  That's my
opinion of course :-)

it will also depend on what 'extended' means.  the longer you are away
from a resupply point, the more food you will have to carry.  I pack
pretty dang light and I am not able to pack more than 3 or 4 days worth
of food, plus my gear, into a 2000 c.i pack.  if I am out for 10-12
dasy without resupply, then I have to bust out my 4000 c.i. pack.  On
the PCT, I have been out 24 days with a 2000 c.i. pack, but resupplied
every 2-4 days.  it all depends on how you plan it.

good luck,
dude