[pct-l] false snow reading?

(I sent this to PCT-L earlier from a new email address, and I think it got
eaten for that reason.)

I'm now pretty darn convinced that the snow sensor closest to Forester
Pass (UTY) is malfunctioning and putting out bad data about Sierra snow
levels.  So the somewhat grim snow forecasts based on that sensor may not
be accurate.  (Or, I suppose, might be too optimistic.  :-( )

The reasons why I think the sensor is screwed up are:  (1) The variation
in snow water content this year is radically different from previous
years, despite similar temperatures.  (2) The snow water content has
dropped a total of 2/10ths of an inch in the last three weeks despite many
days with 40+ degree highs.  (3) The nearby Crabree Meadow sensor (which
is 700' lower) has shown a large drop in snow water content over the same
period.

I've posted some "evidence" at:

   http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~e_lehman/error.html

/Eric