[pct-l] Re: Why I boycotted the ADZPCTKO; etc., etc. ... My last post regarding this (everybody say "Yea!")

Greg wrote:

>Alright, here it is.  You are deeply concerned.  Hmmm.  Are you a member of
>the PCTA, who's mission it is to protect and preserve the PCT?  Have you
>volunteered to help maintain the trail?  Have you volunteered to be a "PCT
>Ambassador" to help build groundswell public support for the trail so that more
>Congressional budget allocations will be made to help build the land buffer that is
>paramount to preserving the wilderness character?  Actions speak louder than
>words.
>
>Humbly and with deep respect and no malice intended,

Greg,

Yes, I am deeply concerned...  Yes, I am a member of the PCTA and have been for quite
a few years (but, admittedly, there was a lapse for some years immediately after I moved
to Pennsylvania in 1991).  Yes, I have helped maintain the PCT, and other western trails,
too, but mostly many years ago...  I tried to get vacation time just last year to coincide with
either BCHC work project near Castle Crags in NorCal, but didn't get it...  I was getting
only two weeks annual vacation due to cutbacks - this year I'm back up to 3 weeks, so I
plan to check and see what projects there will be in NorCal.  I usually work at least 6 days
a week, rotating shifts weekly, so I don't have a lot of 'free' time for local backpacking or trail
work, either - but I have used some vacation time for trail maintenance here in central PA.
"PCT Ambassador"?  Not sure what all that entails but I don't honestly think my work hours
or PA location are be conducive to "building groundswell public support."  Do I contact my
Congressmen?  Yes, frequently, and I've even contacted some of yours also - as a concerned
former northern CA resident...  I am a long standing Sierra Club member, also Wilderness
Society, and National Parks Conservation Association.  I donate what 'little' I can to many
causes - and many are actually more important to society than the PCT, other trails, wilderness,
etc. (But the PCT and wilderness will always have a deep, special place within my heart)

Do I do more than you do for the PCT?  No, at least I certainly don't think so (and I never, ever
came close to implying anything like that).  Is what 'little' I do (which is more than what many will
ever do) less important than what you do?  You may think 'yes', but the answer is NO.  And are all
your questions aimed at implying that you are a better person than I?  You can think whatever you want to...

Now I'm at an awkward position...  your closing line "Humbly and with deep respect and no
malice intended"...  I have read that over, and over, and over again...  I keep wanting to believe
your sincerity, yet I continue to stumble over those last 4 words - "and no malice intended"...
(perhaps I shouldn't have taken psychology as an elective back in 1970!)  "no malice intended"...
I wish I could believe it, but, sorry to say, I just cannot force myself to believe it.

BTW, FWIW...  I'm still not sure what I initially said in my first post to warrant the 'attack' I received
 - other than I agreed with Donna Saufley (which also included her first line "From all accounts another great ADZPCTKO was held this weekend at Lake Morena.  Congratulations to all of the organizers and volunteers who worked so very hard, and schlepped a ton of stuff down to the campground, to take this event happen for the benefit of everyone who attended.  I know from my past experiences that a great time was had by all; great information and presentations, great reunions, and great connections made.  Before I stick my neck out and launch into why I didn't attend the event (and I suspect potentially start a flame war directed at me!) I want to state clearly that the ADZ has grown into the BEST event for long-distance hikers this side of the Mississippi,
and it is quite simply wonderful." - seems to me many people missed or forgot that line in their posts.

Respectfully,
Jim Payne
State College, PA

ps: there will also be one collective reply to "Why (blah, blah)..."