[pct-l] RE: Muir Trail travel from San Fran

Mary,

I assume from your post, that you intend to hike the JMT southbound.  GEtting to Yosemite is easy from the San Fran area.  Simply take a Greyhound bus to Merced.  From there, take a YARTS bus (Yosemite Area Transportation System) to Yosemite Valley.  From there, hike to Mt. Whitney 211 miles south.  If you don't want to hike out of the Valley, you can take YARTS up to Tuolumne Meadows, and start the trail from there.  Once you end the trail in Lone Pine, you can take Greyhound back to San Fran, either via Mammoth Lakes-Yosemite-Merced, or take it south to LA.

If you haven't gotten your permits yet, I highly urge you to try the JMT NORTHBOUND, instead.  You have easier(?) summit/pass ascents, and easier egress once you finish the trip.  I'll be heading northbound in August.  I'll see you on the trail!

Jim "Dallas" McCrain
Remove SPAMGUARD to reply.