[pct-l] Montbell Light Shell jacket

--- Eric Yakel <eyakel@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The only major gear manufacturer that I have found
> that has
> consistently correct weights is Go-Lite.  Montrail,
> for example, is
> off by about 1/2 lb. per shoe.  Eric

Montbell has been pretty accurate so far. Not sure if
they are "major" or not, but at least in Boulder, they
have a good prescence. Their US HQ is in Boulder, so
it makes sense.

For larger manufacturers Go-Lite and Montbell are the
two main light weight manufacturers. Personally, I
prefer Montbell. Go-Lite's stuff (IMO) is not as well
made and they are no going from the Jardine
mininimalist philosophy to a more of a "light weight
gea fashion" philosophy (is there such a thing?!?!).

On an aesthetic level, Go-Lite likes to have their
logos stick out more ala Northface and I think it is
gaudy.  Montbell's motto is "Function is Beauty" and
it shows. Understated, durable, light.  I do have a
GoLite wisp that I bought on clearence for $40, but if
all things were being equal I'd buy the equivalent in
the Montbell jacket. I have the Montbell pants which
are quite nice. FWIW Go-Lite no longer makes the Wisp.
They have an "improved" jacket with a  hood that
weighs more. Think this is endemic where they are
headed as a company.

OK..I've done my quotient of gear talk for the month!
:D

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com