[pct-l] Thoughts on the ADZPCTKO thread

ca_radiance@hotmail.com writes:

> When I first saw the Walk DVD the thing that really stuck
> me is the incredible number of PCT hikers gathered together at one time
> along the trail. The number of people hiking the trail is skyrocketing.

In 1977 about 40 hikers gathered over 3 days in Weldon before heading into
the Sierra.  This was before Kennedy Meadows existed and the temporary trail ran
several miles west of there.  We counted about 110 people that we
collectively knew had begun hiking that year with the intent of hiking most or all of the
trail.  So "clumping" of hikers is not a new phenomenom.  It is true that the
popularity of hiking the trail is increasing.  However, I believe it is
misleading to suggest that it is skyrocketing.

IMHO,

Greg