[pct-l] Montbell Light Shell jacket

At the KOP I noticed the huge amounts of Marmot
Windshirts. All of us former PCTers making rave
reviews over this jacket apparently has had an effect.
Maybe Marmot should cut us a royalty check? :)

In all seriousness, it made me realize how beatup mine
my jacket has become! It is worn - has pinholes, torn
pit areas, mangled zipper, frayed cuffs and a nice
swatch of duct tape over the shoulder.

Time to replace the beloved windshirt.

So I went a shopping. Stopped by one of the few (ha!)
outdoor shops in our fair town of Boulder, CO. When I
asked "Any equivalent to this jacket?"  They all took
one look at it and then saod "Can see why you are
replacing it!". Ahem.

Went to one store..asked if they had a scale. They
looked at me funny and were kinda rude.

When to another store, asked for a scale, they did not
look at me funny but said they did not have a
scale.but knew the weight. I can live with that.

Two other stores had a scale.

Anyway, looked at four models. The Montbell was the
winner. It was $10 less than the Marmot Windshirt..and
two ounces less as well!

Well crafted, more water resistant than the Marmot,
just as windproof, more breathable.

Used it a few times already - mainly biking home in
the cappy weather we have been having!. Used it for a
local hike and a trail run (if you want to call my
plodding pace running ;-D). So far it is a winner.

I have become a fan of Montbell equipment.
Beautifully, well made gear. A little expensive for
some stuff, but what they make it just so good.
(Unlike some big ticket items companies that make
expensive crap!)

Little touches like a recessed pocket that does not
snag, etc.  The people in the store in Boulder really
know their stuff..and use it! A rarity in some outdoor
stores.

My Marmot Driclime is dead...long live the Montbell
Light Shell jacket! :)

Bottom line: $90 and 10oz for a men's large.
http://snipurl.com/emf6

A rare gear review from me. But for less money and
weight, I think it is an alternative worth looking at
to the popular Marmot DriClime Windshirt.

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com