From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
CLanda@aol.com
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 11:24 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [BULK] - Re: [pct-l] water caches

All

In the early 90's a group of us section hiked the Southern California
section of the PCT.  Our leaders got permission to access the PCT
through  the Grapevine Ranch and we stashed water at the gate in the San
Felipe  Hills.

During this period we observed many Thru-hikers and what Section A did
to them.  Very few were really in the proper condition to do the PCT
when they started.  We discussed ways we could help them.  We felt that
if we  gave them just a little help, they might just turn the corner in
both physical  and mental ways to allow them to tackle the whole trail.
It seemed a shame  to see people's dreams get destroyed in just the
first 100 miles.

We discussed different things we could do to help.  One was the water
drop in the San Felipe Hills.  We discussed and discussed and did
nothing.

Then along came Charlie Jones.  He independently came up with this  idea
and ran with it.

I think the real question is how much to help.  I agree with some that
the help may have become excessive.  Maybe between the Border and San
Jacinto there should be just a couple water drops.  Then in dry-hot
years a  few more added.

Just my thoughts,

Chris Landa
Section Hiker