[pct-l] water caches

All

In the early 90's a group of us section hiked the Southern California
section of the PCT.  Our leaders got permission to access the PCT through  the
Grapevine Ranch and we stashed water at the gate in the San Felipe  Hills.

During this period we observed many Thru-hikers and what Section A did to
them.  Very few were really in the proper condition to do the PCT when they
started.  We discussed ways we could help them.  We felt that if we  gave them
just a little help, they might just turn the corner in both physical  and mental
ways to allow them to tackle the whole trail.  It seemed a shame  to see
people's dreams get destroyed in just the first 100 miles.

We discussed different things we could do to help.  One was the water  drop
in the San Felipe Hills.  We discussed and discussed and did  nothing.

Then along came Charlie Jones.  He independently came up with this  idea and
ran with it.

I think the real question is how much to help.  I agree with some that  the
help may have become excessive.  Maybe between the Border and San  Jacinto
there should be just a couple water drops.  Then in dry-hot years a  few more
added.

Just my thoughts,

Chris Landa
Section Hiker