From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Chuckie V
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:48 AM
To: PCT-List
Subject: [BULK] - [pct-l] Mexican to Canada...I'm afraid not.

Gang,
I have some disheartening news to share:

While visiting border patrol agents in Campo last weekend it was brought
to my attention that the actual boundary between the US and Mexico is
not the corrugated metal fence that all us PCT hikers stick our hands
and feet under! Apparently the US and Mexico couldn't come to an
agreement about the placement of such a structure, so the US erected the
fence on US property, approximently 10-30 feet (different distance in
different places, based on the land's geography, etc) north of our
neighbors. This solved the disagreement but ruins lots and lots of PCT
hikers dreams of having actually hiked from Mexico to Canada. I hate to
be the bearer of such bad news.

Tongue in cheek, as always,
-Chuckie