[pct-l] October/November hiking

Jeff
I have worked this part of the trail for close to 6 years now, and hiked
these mountains for the last 25. You can expect the 4 seasons..... depending
on your elevation and location, one thing you might not be thinking of is
hunters. Be careful, make yourself visable I have been shot at 3-4 times
over the years, these guys scare the hell out of me.

 Hunters in Wyoming might be more responsible or maybe they are just fewer
in number and more dispispersed but around here there are lots of them and
some drink their breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I worked with the PCTA trail crew south of 589.3 Back Cyn Rd in October of
last year. It was quite hot during the day and cold at night, it was nice to
have a fire to keep warm. It would be less of a problem for hikers, but
there where lots of flies too my head net came out when we stopped for
breaks and lunch.

I day hiked parts of the trail <> 598.0 and 611.8 the year before, very cold
at night in the teen's and twenties at my car camp off Piute Mtn Rd, the
days were warmer, with hunters driving up and down the roads looking for
something to shoot at.

One good resource for data is

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/ca/ca.avg.html
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/ca/ca.max.html
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/ca/ca.min.html
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/ca/ca.tmp.ext.html

Another potental problem is wind, sometimes very high winds can hit these
areas mainly in the fall these winds can have gusts exceeding 75 mph +, be
very careful with fire of any sort under these conditions as literaly 1
spark can start a major blaze. While we are on this subject, the Forest
Service has the last 2 years closed the forest to entry due to high fire
danger, while I don't expect that to happen this year you might want to keep
it in mind Generally prior to closing the forest there has been a period of
no fires of any sort, no stoves, no smoking no..., no..., no.... These
closures have 2 purposes IMHO, 1 to reduce the chances someone could spark a
blaze and 2 with the extreme fire behavior seen in other fires recently you
could become trapped and/or over run by a fire.

That said, layers will do the trick polypropline longies, fleece jacket,
windbreaker, wool/poly cap, gloves etc... warm sleeping bag, some kind of
shelter from wind too. I use a Walrus Heat Wave car camping, lot's of
ventilation and an easy to install fly for windy & cold conditions, I also
have a Black Diamond biviy similar to the Bilber Winter Bivy which I grown
quite fond of.

.Well enough of my rantings
Happy Trails
Matt "Trail90" Maxon