From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of yogi
Sent: 29 April 2005 19:33
To: Gustafson; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Re: Alternatives to DEET

The only thing that repels PCT mosquitos is DEET or lots of clothing.
Use anything else and you'll go insane.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Gustafson <jgus@sunbow.org> wrote:
> From: Craig Milo Rogers
> Subject: [pct-l] Alternatives to DEET
>
> ...federal officials are recommending picaridin and oil of lemon
> eucalyptus as
> two alternatives to DEET ...

Visit this link to read the Medical Letter of May '03, which reported
on this stuff:

http://www.medletter.com/freedocs/repellents.pdf

I'm busy doing research on mosquito repellents, etc., as I've decided
to scrap my July JMT hike in favor of hiking Oregon from mid-July to
mid-August. I'm hoping that's just barely late enough to miss the
worst of the mosquitoes, but still intend to carry the best mosquito
stuff I can find. Anyone have any advice for me about hiking Oregon
NoBo at that time?? Reply offline unless you think everyone wants to
know.

Happy trails,

Two Legs