[pct-l] This new PCT era

The current dialogue about the ADZ, the mass of hikers starting
north, and the impact upon the nature and wilderness we all seek
is a reflection of the modern era we are all trying to escape. We
are all drawn together via a love of the wilderness, the long trail
and hike, and the modern connectedness of the internet and access
to infinite answers to thruhiker's questions. The question of how to
do the PCT has been answered. There are trail angels, water drops,
maps, CDs, journals, guidebooks, exercise plans, RayWays, you
name it, there is an answer or information source. This has attracted
and connected a huge group of likeminded adventurers seeking
a great personal challenge within their timeframe. The new PCT era
is upon us, there will be many hikers, and there will be a cost to
the romance of how it once was in the "old era" before the great
access to info, internet, ADZ, trail angels, and easy answers. I am
fortunate to remember the PCT 30 years ago, and to be still be
challenging myself against the long trail today. Spring is the time
to start from the Mexican border, and that won't change. ADZ is
an incredible gift to the hiker community that hopefully will live on
and adapt to the trail and hiker community. We can only blame
ourselves if we have become a threat to the PCT because we love it so!
The PCT will outlive all of us, and all we can hope is to find some
time in our life to be a part of it. In time, you will look back at 2005
and remember it as the good ole days, prior to the first class of
one thousand thruhikers in one year on the PCT! I look at anytime I
can hike along the PCT as a good ole day.....Hikon!