[pct-l] emergency radio?

My partner is planning a 2-month hike this summer on the PCT and John Muir
Trail. It would be great if she could call for help in a medical
emergency--none anticipated, but you never know. So I'm looking for
information on emergency radio transceivers for hikers and wonder if you
have any recommendations. Are there particular frequencies most likely to
be monitored for emergency calls? Any brands/models of transceiver you'd
recommend? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.