[pct-l] Trekking Poles

Marge wrote:

I was under the impression I could take my trekking poles on  the
airplane,
as long as I checked them with my pack and did not try to  carry them
on.  Am
I wrong in this?

No, you're correct.  I flew with my trekking poles in checked baggage
just a couple of weeks ago.  I generally put my poles inside a length of
plastic drain pipe with caps on both ends, and put both the pipe and my
backpack into a large duffel bag.

In general, mechanical items that are forbidden as carry-on items are
still ok as checked baggage (poles, knives, even guns though you have to
declare them).  On the other hand, chemical-type items are generally
forbidden in both carried and checked baggage (fuel, etc.).

Eric