From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Eric Lehman
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 2:11 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Re: Snow questions

Hi,

I'm sure you've looked at the excellent PCT post-holer site.  For another
perspective, you can look at my site:

    http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~e_lehman/uty.html

Essentially, I've taken this year's snow record up to today and pasted on
melt records from this day forward from 35 previous years.  I update daily
and the range of uncertainty-- while still large-- is slowly dropping.
Of course, something completely unprecedented *could* happen; the graph
only shows you the range of things that *have* happened.

At the extremes, a once-in-a-decade fast melt could leave us only slightly
above normal snow levels.  On the other hand, the melt patterns in about
15% of years would put us FIVE WEEKS behind schdule.  Overall, it looks to
me like we'll be 1-3 weeks behind normal.  So this suggests that June 27th
is a reasonable date for a rough plan.

/Eric

P.S.  Someone suggested I compute a mean and std. dev. for the day when
all snow is gone.  I liked this idea a lot, but got stuck because we
haven't had to melt off this much snow most years.  So a lot of the curves
don't drop all the way to zero.  I couldn't think of a good way to cope
with that, so I've just left the graph for "eyeballing".