[pct-l] Waiting to Decide...

In a message dated 4/10/2005 8:17:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jjolson@uwyo.edu writes:

> [...]
alone
in 2005.  The thought is frightening to be  honest.>>>>>>

With 40 years of backpacking and climbing in the Sierra, I had never spent  a
single night alone in the mountains or hiked alone.  Even so, the  crowdruns
strong out of Campo, and I did not spend a night alone until 400 miles  up the
trail, at Little Rock Creek, under The Eagle's Roost in the San Gabriel
Mountains.  It would be a fair assessment to say that I was a "little"
apprehensive.

 The night passed easily and the next time I spent a night in  another's
company   (not  counting the herd at Kennedy Meadows, the claustrophobic canvas
tents of VVR,  and the anonymous, crowded campgrounds of Tuolumne Meadows) was
when I  shared a motel room with another thruhiker at Buck Lake Lodge,  more
than 875 miles up the trail. Between  there and Oregon, I spent one night with
another hiker above Belden.

I found the freedom, the self-reliance... the solitude...to be what I had
been looking for all along and forever... or perhaps for the 60 years that I
carry.

"No Way" Ray  Echols