[pct-l] RE: post about the Perseid Meteor Shower

My first attempt to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower was on the first night I
ever spent on a section of the PCT.  I was sooooooo excited!!!  But I was
also very inexperienced!  We camped behind some trees off the trail, with
lots of sky showing, somewhere north of Goat Rocks.  I left the tent door
open, so I could see the meteors, but promptly fell asleep instead.  In the
middle of the night, I was awoken by a little vole crawling over my face.  I
jerked awake, thinking of bears (I was new to wilderness hiking, you
remember) and started screaming.  I couldn't stop, even when I realized what
it was.  My tent partner, also new to me, calmly aimed her flashlight at the
poor little being, who was shaking with fear in a corner of the tent.  My
terror relaxed, and I took a stuff sack and picked the little animal up and
put it outside, watched it waddle off into the grass as fast as it could go,
then zipped the tent door closed.  It amazes me to this day that my tent
partner ever wanted to hike with me again.  After several years of section
hiking, we hope to finish Washington State this summer.

Lindy B.