[pct-l] Backpacking Stoves

Hi Matt, just got back on the list myself, after a hiatus of a few
years. Worked a bit of the San Jacinto PCT section and the Reds Meadow
to Tuolumne parts in years past.
I have used several different stoves, from an old sixties version Svea
boat anchor, to a soda-can alcohol stove. I have the soda can and and
cat stoves (made from pet food cans) and an MSR Whisperlite in the
inventory right now. I think I use the cat stove the most often when
I'm just out for a few days, for the simplicity of the thing. Takes
some forethought, but if all you need is hot water, five minutes will
boil you a pint, and the thing I like the best is that you can use
grain alcohol in it. High proof brandy or rum sorta works, but
Everclear, if you can get it, works great. Why? besides the fact that
you can drink it (Danger, Will Robinson!!!.....), it is a clean,
non-toxic fuel! Years ago I had a fuel canister leak caused by
elevation changes, that ruined all my food and ended my trip the first
day.
A cat stove, a small circlet of wire fencing for a pot support, a foil
pad to set the stove on, a lighter or book of matches and a small
squeeze bottle, such as for eye drops to at fuel, and a spoon all fit
inside a titanium pot, with room for some possibles for the next meal
or hot beverage of your choice.
For a windscreen, I cut a long strip out of the bottom of a heavy foil
Turkey roasting pan, you can get one at the market for a couple of
bucks. cut it long enough to wrap around your pot, with a bit of
overlap, and tall enough to reach the top edge of the pot when it is on
your stove or pot support. I punched a bunch of holes around the bottom
edge with a paper punch. I store it wrapped around the fuel bottle with
a rubber band or a small velcro strap.
Drawbacks: no control, its either burning or not. Hard to turn off and
I usually let it burn itself out. You can carry a small squeeze bottle
of fuel and add a bit if it looks like it will burn out before you're
done cooking.

If I was going out with a partner or a party, I think I would take a
multi-fuel stove for the flexibility and control to make a more varied
meal. Besides you can share part of the load that way too.
If its just me, I keep it simple and much lighter.
I got the plan for both the cat  and soda-can stoves here on the list a
few years back. Best of luck