[pct-l] ice axe for So Cal?

If the snow conditions continue like they are I would suggest NOT hiking Fuller Ridge without an ice axe and self-arrest skills. Its on a steep north facing slope, often exposed, and spotted with trees. When I was hiking the PCT there was not much snow on Fuller Ridge. I remember thinking how lucky I was that I didn't have to hike Fuller Ridge in the snow.  So my advice is to take the Black Mountain Road off highway 243 North of Idyllwild. A couple of years ago I got dropped off at the Black Mountain Road where it leaves highway 243 and hiked down to the San Gorgonio Pass. It was spectacular-- great campsites at the top, near where the road meets the PCT. From there its truly an inspiring view down to the Pass-- and across the pass to the San Bernardino Mountains and the mountains in Joshua Tree National Park. The sunsets from there are a taste of golden California bliss.