[pct-l] The best lightweight shelter

Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla.

My goal is to stay warm, safe, fed and dry with the LIGHTEST pack possible
when distance hiking.
I'd rather carry a pencil than a Buick.

I ride the edge with a very small tarp.  4 ozs. It's also about to replace
my raincoat as a poncho. I rarely set it up
For rain I place my tarp on higher ground, set my tarp low and appropriate
to the wind, make a little rumoff trench around it and I have a few other
stay dry tricks..
Last year a friend of mine and I got hit a heavy rainstorm with winds so
high that the rain was being blown up hill.
18 miles to the Etna Summit.  We went to town.  I'm willing to keep risking
when the odds are less rain.
I've heard experts say start with a bigger tarp and work your way down.

For Mosquitos and/or heavier rains I have Ron Moak's,
www.sixmoonsdesign.com new Lunar Solo.  24ozs. with stakes.  Tons of room
for me at 5' 10" including headroom and a huge space beside me for gear. So
much ventilation it has to be one of the best condensation tents made.  You
sleep paralell to the front and it has so much exposure when open, it has
to be one of the most open, least confining tents on the market.   Haven't
used it yet so I'm hoping for heavy rains and lots of mosquitoes so I can
just sit inside and say "Na, Na!"

My girlfriend and I are looking at a very new two person tarp called the
"Spin-Twin" at www.gossamergear.com  8 ozs.!!! for two people.
She's just about ready to try a tarp.

Then again
Some people like Chocolate.  Some people like vanilla.  And some people
will try new flavors with an open mind.

Warner Springs Monty

going out in potential rain. I'm under the impression that the purpose of a
tarp is for both shade and rain-shielding, whereas my friend seems to think
that the lack of a floor and complete walls will allow flooding. I
suggested a fastpack footprint, but the comment about floods caused concern
about the lack of a seal along the floor corners.

> What is your experience with a tarp tent as a shield against the
elements? Will a tarp provide adequate shelter? Is it worth the weight to
pack a tent?