[pct-l] The best lightweight shelter

First, any shelter will fail in a flood if you don't know how to pick a
campsite that won't turn into a lake in a heavy rain. Tarps of all kinds are
especially prone to this - with or without floors. They also sail nicely if
you don't watch the wind direction. The presence or absence of walls is
meaningless - other than as a means to secure the floor to the shelter.

I have used one of Brawny's original Tacoma Tarps for five years now and I
love it!. Floor vs. no floor? Mine originally was floorless. The advantage
to that is I can set it up in under 2 minutes with my pack under it from the
getgo. I can also set it up more places than a floorless model because I'm
not concerned about that big rock or stump poking a hole in my floor. I'll
be inside out of the rain pruning the floor area while you are still setting
up your tent or floored tarp. We're talking sudden storms here - like in the
Sierras and Trinity Alps. Most of the time, we'll have loads of time to
choose a site and set up our shelter. It's those exceptions that make the
difference, and the primary reason for having a shelter along in the first
place.

I ultimately had a floor added, but cut it out the same year. The floor
greatly improved insect and critter protection and was worth the added
weight in that respect. The disadvantages were it was too slippery
(correctable with silicon dots or strips which I can feel through my bag)
and since it was not a bathtub design, during hurried setup the floor could
offset such that water pouring off the canopy passed through the netting
walls and pooled on the floor. It also required greater care in site
selection so as to avoid sharp objects - even pine cones - on the ground,
thereby delaying getting under cover in bad weather. In retrospect, I would
have been better off and defintely drier by just wrapping it around me
during the 15 minute heavy downpour than trying to set the thing up. But
that's hindsight and who can say how long a storm will last?

Personally, I'll stay floorless.

Wandering Bob