[pct-l] Mt. Whitney permit

Inyo National Forest Mount Whitney Permit information:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/mtwhitney.shtm

>From the site it appears that there is a $15 "reservation" fee that applies
whenever you enter the Whitney Zone. I would assume the PCTA is collecting
this for the Forest Service. What isn't clear to me is whether you need to
get a Whitney Zone permit if you plan to hike from the PCT to the peak and
then return to the PCT, without entering or exiting on the main trail. The
site says there are no quotas for doing this so why would you need a
reservation? This may be why a ranger doesn't ask to see a thruhiker's
permit.
You may want to call the ranger station in Lone Pine and see what they have
to say.

Frank Dumville
fdumville@earthlink.net

haven't firmly decided to climb the mountain yet and would rather wait, but
it's on the little PCTA permit dealie.  Is there a way to buy the Whitney
permit closer to the mountain itself, when we have a better idea about
whether or not we want to hike it?