[pct-l] elevation sickness

> From: "Matt Bradley" <bodhisattvavow@hotmail.com>
> For this and all other medical issues that you might encounter in the
> backcountry you should read "Medicine for Mountaineering and Other
> Wilderness Activities" edited by James A. Wilkerson. ... but it really
> is boring reading.

This is an excellent suggestion!  However, there are other books that
are cheaper, shorter, right on point for backcountry travelers like us
... and NOT boring.  I recommend the Outward Bound Wilderness First Aid
Handbook, by Jeffrey Isaac.  It is the basic textbook used in
Wilderness Medical Associates' Wilderness First Responder courses, and
it is a reasonably easy read, written for non-professionals, with
excellent organization ... the subject matter logically builds toward a
clear understanding (not just memorization) of what to do about bad
stuff that happens in the woods.  I believe it costs $15, is probably
sold at REI and A-16 type stores, also Amazon, or from Wilderness
Medical Associates (www.wild-med.com).  AND ... there's just time to
get it and read it!

Two Legs