[pct-l] elevatoin sickness

Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) can stike anyone at anytime without
warning, even if that person has been at higher elevations before.  For
the most part, altitudes experienced on Whitney are just uncomfortable
and do not pose any real danger unless you have other physical problems
such as diabetes, asthma, heart trouble, high or low blood pressure,
etc (I am no doctor, so rely on this info anecdotally only.  Definitely
see a doctor if you have questions).

The most effective preventative measure for AMS is to be extremely well
hydrated and well nourished both BEFORE and during the climb.  I will
typically try to drink about 2 gallons of water in the preceding 24 hrs
before climbing.  Another preventative measure that you can take while
climbing is to preassure breathe as you hike.  Preasure breathing is
where you force the air pressure in your lungs to be higher by closing
your mouth except for a small opening and forcing the air out as fast
as you can.  By increasing the pressure in your lungs, the theory says
that it should increase the density of oxygen.  Preasure breathing is
definitely something that works to stave off miled cases of AMS or Pre-
AMS symptoms, but no one is sure exactly why.  Over-hydration is not
proven to be entirely effective at preventing AMS, but it certainly
doesn't hurt and we also know that dehydration will makes thinsg worse.

The only truly effective known treatment for AMS is to decend to a
lower altitude, which you should be able to do on Whitney with no
problem.  Many many people are able to climb whitnet from the portal to
the summit in 15-20 hrs, so if you start to feel sick and are only a
few hrs from the summit, you can very likely make it and start to feel
better once you start decending.  You just have to grin and bear it for
several hours.  You may vomit and feel really bad, but as long as you
do not start feeling dizzy and/or have vertigo, you should be okay.

In the grand scheme of mountain climbing, Whitney is a very low
mountain.  We think its tall here in the "lower 48", but in actuality
none of the top 100 highest peaks in the world are even on US soil
(that inlcudes Denali).

You should have no problem on whitney as long as you stay hydrated and
keep moving.  Don't take breaks, and instead slow down when you get
tired.

Good luck!

peace,
dude