[pct-l] Re Pocketmail Backflip

Hi Rob,

I think the palm with backflip is a far better set up for hiking than the
composer on it's own.  You have all the functionality of your palm software
to start off with, plus if you buy a backup card you can save all your data
to this card.  If you lose your palm or it gets wet, you can put your data
straight back into a new palm (assuming you've  backed it up). If you use an
older model Palm (I used an M515) I guess you could pick one up on ebay for
a few dollars.  If  you don't use the backlight so much, the battery will
last between town stops easily, keep a charging cable in your bounce box.
However you could buy a spare upgrade battery which I did, but never needed
to use, beware though that you will lose your data when you take the battery
out, it's also a bit of a fiddle. (another reason to get a backup card).
Another thing to consider if you use the M5*** series, is to get yourself a
hard case to prevent the power switch turning on in your pack.  The lightest
and best type are the aluminium or titanium varieties.
I think the palm, backflip, case, spare card and battery still worked out
lighter than the composer and was heaps better!

Regards

Rich
Lord Tea in 04