[pct-l] RE: Crampons and Boots?

I wear my crampons (I have both the Stubai Ultralight and the Grivel Air
Tech Light) with my tennis shoes for almost all my climbs, as do many people
I know. I have found that this is much preferable to boots on all terrain
except steep, icy glaciers (anything Grade II or above I would probably wear
boots on, or at least something sturdier than tennis shoes). Most people at
outdoors stores will tell you, otherwise, though. I went to about five
stores before finally going to ProMountain Sports (promountainsports.com)
and talking to the owner, who finally told me that the two models of
crampons I now own work fine on tennis shoes. Since then, I have had tons of
success climbing only in my tennis shoes, and though I have made a few
exceptions, almost never use my crampons with boots. However, I would not
recommend the Cassin crampons, as my friend's broke shortly after being
purchased. Also, if you are going to be wearing them in sticky snow at all,
I would definitely recommend buying snow plates for the Stubai (they are
already on the Grivel ones) or you'll probably end up skating down the
mountain. :)

-Erin B & Kosmic