[pct-l] balaclava

Monty wrote:

One more important question.

How well does it block high winds on the ears?

It all depends.  Balaclavas are like jackets - there are all kinds.  Any
decent outdoor gear store ought to have at least a few to choose from.
I have three, myself.  I'll take whichever one matches the conditions I
expect.

One is made of a lightweight, highly breathable spandex-type material
that I use on cold bicycle rides (cuts the wind just enough to not
freeze my face).  The second is made of 200-weight fleece and is pretty
warm but not particularly wind-resistant.  I often wear this one as a
beanie hat if I don't need my face covered.  The third is designed for
wearing under a hat or helmet.  It has 100-weight windstopper fleece on
the lower half and very thin stretchy material on the top that won't
change the size of your head.

For general use the 200-weight fleece is probably the best choice.

Eric