[pct-l] Chartering a bus

> I've travelled in and out via both Mojave and Walker Pass.
> You don't want to do Walker Pass if you can possibly help
> it. Mojave is much easier and you wind up in the same
> place - Bakersfield.

Walker Pass ain't all that tough a hitch, especially with
the campground on site. Once in Onyx, it's a straightforward
public ride down to Bakersfield.

Mojave, also a hitch from the PCT, would later on the flip
side add a fair bit of additional desert ground to cover
while walking south in the (drier and non-cache-supported)
late summer and fall months.

Ideally, such a flip flop would end at Kennedy Meadows,
since it's the "spiritual" end of the High Sierra and a
relaxing spot to spend a day unwinding from the adventure.
But from a logistical standpoint, in lieu of KM, I'd shoot
for Walker Pass on the to and fro. And with the hike
completed, I'd walk away from that pass (or hitch) in full
confidence that it had been named in my honor.

Less expensive than chartering a bus might be to rent
several "compact" vehicles, cram as many hikers into each,
make haste northward, and then split the tab. And in any
case I would cringe to ponder the gas tab after chartering a
bus along the west coast, post $0.25 gas hike, and during
the summer "driving season."

- blisterfree