[pct-l] Nutrition thoughts

O.F.? Old fart?

A quick side thought--I have had access to some of the best nutrition/physiology labs around the world, and much research is headed toward what you write about Jeff: eating smaller meals, more frequently. Call it grazing. Humans, it seems, were meant to graze throughout the day rather than eat three daily meals. This is especially the case for endurance athletes, which us hikers are. It makes sense in the evolutionary scale of things too, and certainly does physiologically: mainly because it's simply easier to break down and absorb smaller portions. A human is most inefficient at two things: (1) in breaking his food down (think of a Cheetah who's just eaten an antelope) and (2) temperature regulation. We can outsmart both situations by grazing and dressing appropriately. Do this, and you use less energy and therefore, need less. Important stuff on the trail.

-Chuckie