[pct-l] Re: nutrition

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:45:49 +0900, McElligott John <jm@gol.com> wrote:

> ... I`d like it if some of you folks could also give a typical one day
> itemization of your food for long distance backpacking. ...

Here's what worked for me:

Breakfast was a hot cereal (instant oatmeal or instant cream of wheat),
fortified with brown sugar, bacon and sometimes
milk.  Washed it all down with instant coffee.  Boiled two cups of water
(one Esbit tab):  one for the cereal, one for the coffee.

Lunch was cheese and salami and cereal "bars" and tortillas and taco sauce
and nuts and M&Ms.  Actually, there were usually two lunches, one late
morning
and one mid-afternoon.

Dinner was simply a commercial freeze-dried meal (I seemed to have a choice
of "orange," "red" or "white"); sometimes I supplemented it with instant
potatos, or a tortilla, or sometimes nuts or cheese.  That meal took one
cup of boiling water, and the other cup (again, one Esbit tab) would be
used to create a hot drink (cocoa or lemonade or tea).

That was it.  Sure, I lost some weight (see earlier discussion here), but
strangely I was never hungry, either.

--
Jeffrey Neil Zimmerman
Sonoma County, The Left Coast