[pct-l] Sleeping bag liners

Elizabeth wrote:

Does anyone have any love for a sleeping bag liner on the trail? As
dirty as I plan to get, it seems to make sense. So far it seems like
the best lightweight option is silk. Has anyone used a silk liner on
the PCT?

It definitely makes sense to try to keep your sleeping bag as clean as
possible, especially if it's expensive and/or filled with down.  For the
past few years I've used a silk bag liner and I have mixed feelings
about it.

On one hand it has several advantages:  it does a good job of protecting
the bag, it works great as a light covering when the night is warm and
the down bag is too hot, and it adds to the bag's insulation when it's
really cold.

On the other hand it has a couple downsides: it makes the process of
getting into the bag more difficult (especially in the dark), I
constantly get tangled up in it while sleeping, and it's not really a
multi-use item.

I've thought about trying lightweight sleeping clothes which ought to
retain most of the advantages and fix most of the disadvantages, but
haven't gotten around to it yet.

Eric