[pct-l] Fire Permit

Mike wrote:

I believe the "intent" is to prohibit "open flames".
That would include alcohol stoves and candle lanterns.
I even think there's a "grey area" regarding liquid fuel stoves (pump
kind).
Propane canisters seem to be the type of stove they're driving us to.

I love my alcohol stove but from a purely objective point of view, I can
understand why canister stoves would be safer in extreme fire hazard
conditions.

Alcohol stoves are so light that they're prone to being blown over with
an unexpected gust of wind (as almost happened to me on Mt. Laguna last
spring, much to my alarm!).  Once they're upended they spread burning
fuel everywhere and generally create an instant fireball that's
impossible to put out.

Canister stoves are much harder to blow over (they're more likely to
blow out then to be upended) and even if they do tip over they don't
scatter fuel everywhere.  When the fire danger is very high they're
clearly the smarter choice.

Eric