From: "Brian Weber" <pies_con_queso@yahoo.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:25 PM
Subject: [pct-l] What's your experience with a Gossamer G4?

I'm still a little green to the backpacking world,
even though I've been hiking and car-camping as long
as I can remember.

Right now I'm using an outdoor products external
frame. It's 2950ci, but the frame extends low for a
place to strap a sleeping bag. I bought it because it
was fifty bucks and it also fit really well. However,
the thing weighs over five pounds, and I'm realizing
that the e-frame is very bulky.

I just won an eBay auction on a Gregory Z-pack (the
same pack my hiking partner swears by). I've tried on
his pack, and liked how it fit. I still have to give
it some miles (which I plan to do with the new pack)
before I decide if that is the correct pack for me.

Now I'm eyeing the Gossamer Gear G4 pack. I'm thinking
of making it myself so I can select the best possible
fabric, and perhaps do some custom work (sealed seams,
pocket for my dromedary, etc). Has anyone here made
their own pack, G4 or otherwise, and what advice do
you have to give on making my first pack?