[pct-l] Fire Permit

This whole fire permit thing is bewildering. It's been a "requirement" for a
long time, yet every time I've gotten a wilderness permit, I've *never* been
asked if I had a fire permit but I have been asked if I've got a certain other
unmentionable large cylindrical item.

There is nothing on my JMT permit (haven't saved the other wilderness permits so
I can't check them) that says anything about fires. I was stopped on the JMT
last year and asked for my wilderness permit but wasn't asked for my fire permit
(which I didn't have).

Yogi doesn't mention the fire permit (that I can see) in her book. I can't
recall anyone mentioning it in their trail journals (either being asked for it
or saying "got the fire permit along with my wilderness permit and the permit to
enter Canada"). The PCTA website, which is careful to mention the permit to
enter Canada says nothing (that I can see) about the fire permit and they're
located in Caly-fonya for crying out loud.

You'd think something so "necessary" would be mentioned prominently in at least
one of these places.