From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Ronald
Strickland
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:14 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [BULK] - [pct-l] Yogi's guidebook

2-18-05

Dear thru-hikers,

I am posting today in defense of Yogi and her guidebook.

I wrote and published two editions (1983 and 2001) of The Pacific
Northwest Trail Guide.  And I have read and owned many, many guidebooks.
The tradition is that individuals and trail clubs write and publish the
world's guidebooks for profit.  Whiners who don't want to pay are
certainly not required to have any particular guidebook.

Last year I completed the PCT after four years of section hikes.  Often
the PCT List was quite useful.  I remember how delighted I was to learn
the address of the Middleton's, for example.  And saddened recently to
hear that the beloved Pink Motel is no more.

But too often the PCT List is unnecessarily aggravating.  This petty
attack on Yogi is particularly galling and contrary to the true spirit
of our sport.  The beauty of thru-hiking is in its communion with Nature
and in its opportunity for making lifelong friends.  The PCT is a
world-class resource that enables us to forget the cares of ordinary
life as we experience a truly grand adventure.

Happy trails,

Ron "Pathfinder" Strickland, PCT 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.sea2seatrail.org