[pct-l] What's the better sleeping bag?

Here is a review of the ultralight that I posted on Whiteblaze this fall.  I still use and love the Ultralight and it will come with me this summer, be it on the CDT, PNT, or in the Himalaya.

Suge

 Age: 30

 Height: 6' 4"

 Weight: 195-215 lbs

 Experience: AT: Springer->Damascus (02), Damascus->Manchester Center (04), PCT thruhike (03), GDT thruhike (04).

 Similar Products Used: Western Mountaineering Highlight, Marmot Arroyo.

 Locations/conditions tested: Canadian Rockies from US border to Mount Robson (30 days, alpine terrain, rain, etc), weekend treks in winter and fall in the Smokys, spring trips in the Grand Canyon and Santa Catalina Mountains, assorted winter weekend trips in Indiana. Temperatures ranged from 15 to 60 degrees, with plenty of rain thrown in for good measure. Approximately 60 bag nights.
 Size: Large (fits up to 6' 6". 6' and 5' 6" models also available)

 Weight (advertised): 1 lb, 12 oz

 Weight (as tested): 1 lb, 15 oz

 Price: $305

 Manufacturer web address: www.westernmountaineering.com

 The Western Mountaineering Ultralite is a 20 degree down fill (850) sleeping bag that represents, perhaps, the best three season ultalight bag on the market. Over more than 60 nights spent in this bag in lands ranging from the farmlands of Indiana to the hills of Tennessee to the skyscraping peaks of the Canadian Rockies to the surreal dreamscapes of the Grand Canyon and the desert southwest, the Ultalite performed magnificently and is worth every dollar spent on it.

 The Ultalite is in Western Mountaineering's "ExtremeLite" series of bags. Using a very light shell and immaculate quality down, the bags acheive a reliable temperature rating with a minimum of weight. While some may be skeptical about the light shell's ability to hold up over the course of heavy usage, my own experience indicates that the material is more than sufficiently durable for long distance hikes. Some down bleeding will happen (when down pops through the shell), but not enough to degrade the temperature rating. After a recent washing, the bag looks as good as new.

 Unlike the Highlite (see my review in this forum from last year), the Ultralite has a full length zippper, a fat draft tube (a fold of down that runs the length of the zipper and keeps cold air from coming in), and a serious collar (or hood). Like the Highlite, the Ultalite is cut tight, with a 59" girth in the small and regular sizes, and a 60" girth in the long version. I'm tall and have a large frame, but find the narrower cut to be just perfect: There is enough room to move about, but not so much that thermal efficiency is compromised by the presence of alot of deadair space. However, those who like a little more room will have to look elsewhere (perhaps the Megalite, a more generously cut, 30 degree bag in the "ExtremeLite" line as well).

 I used the Ultalite in conjunction with a tarp at times, while at others I was in shelters or sleeping in the open. The temperature rating of 20 degrees appears to be accurate: I was never cold in the bag, and frequently slept more or less naked (accompanied by a silk liner) even in winter conditions. Condensation in the Canadian Rockies was a major problem, also the down never wetted out or clumped together, even on days when rain prevented me from drying the bag. Usually, the top of the bag would be very wet from the condensation. I would stuff the bag and in the evening unstuff it; no problems with clumping or the down wetting out. With the full draft tube and a collar that can cinch down effectively, one can fully seal out the cold evening air.

 The only problem with the Ultalite is that for summer hiking at lower elevations, the bag is simply too warm. For example, from June to August the bag will simply be too warm for the Appalachian trail. However, one could simply switch to a silk liner for these months.

 The important question that must be asked before purchasing a bit of gear at this price is: Why not simply buy another 20 degree bag that costs half the amount of the Ultalight? The answer here is fairly simple: There are no other bags (except for perhaps a model from Feathered Friends, which costs the nearly the same amount) the combine the low weight with the reliable temperature rating. Be aware that temperature ratings are generally not well founded. For example, the idea that a Marmot Arroyo is a 30 degree bag is laughable. More over, spending more now may keep you from spending more later: My Arroyo lost down so fast that, even with a restuffing by Marmot (free of charge), I stopped using it after forty (or so) bag nights because it could no longer keep me warm when the temperature dropped below 40 degrees. So, in short, one spends the money for the Ultralite because it delivers on the promises of its numbers and will continue to do so in the future. Cheaper bags rarely deliver and need replacing more rapidly.

 A final consideration
 There are some "half" bags (bags without a bottom, that use a sleeping pad instead) with a claimed 20 degree rating and weight near that of the Ultalite. Cost is usually as much (or more) as the Ultalite. This begs the question: Why not just spend the same amount of money (and weight) and get the entire bag?

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett
Pierce College