[pct-l] My footwear experiences

Donna wrote:

Have you tried this strategy in the southern deserts?  I was just
wondering how much the heat and sandpaper-like grit affect the sock
combination.

I haven't done extensive hiking in the southwest.  I was at the kickoff
party last spring and did some dayhiking in the area but it wasn't
particularly hot.

I have no doubt that desert heat would be a big problem for my current
strategy but I'm not sure what else to try.  Every time I try something
other than my standard footgear it goes poorly for me.

Grit, though, I'm not worried about.  With lightweight mid-cut boots and
light nylon pants that drape down over the ankle collar, I don't have
any problem with sand getting inside.  That part I'm confident about.
In fact, I wonder about those folks that wear the single thin sock and
open-mesh shoes.  Seems to me that the grit must be terribly abrasive on
their skin.  Each to their own, I guess!

Eric