[pct-l] Boots vs. shoes

I came out from a JMT hike over Taboose Pass once.  When I hit the
desert floor there were only a couple dusty cars at the trailhead, and
the highway, where I was going to hitchike, was at least 10 miles away.
I was wearing Vasque Whitney II boots, heavy leather things that I
sealed well with Snoseal.  It was over 100 degrees and I'm sure the
ground was hotter.  Good, waterproof boots.

I wanted to stop and let my feet breathe, but intuited this would not be
a good idea.  I reached the stream by the highway and took off my
boots.  My feet were swollen to twice their size - literally twice their
size.  My lymph system distributed water to my feet and hands, which
were also swollen.

The insides of the boots were slick/soaked with sweat.  There would have
been no way to get my feet back in the boots, and if I'd stopped in the
desert, I can only imagine the agony I would have gone through trying.
I stuck my feet in the stream and passed out, to wake up an hour later,
feet back to normal...

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY